A Deputy Director with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Obinna Ayogu, has been quizzed by the police in Enugu State over allegations of forgery, fraud, trespass and acts capable of causing break down of law and order.

Police intervention followed a petition written by a retired Commissioner of Police, Sunny Ngwu, and wife of a University Professor, Mrs. Opata, dated December 21, 2022.

In the petition, the duo alleged that Ayogu forged agreement that one Ann Ngene sold a landed property situated at Umakashi, in Nsukka Council, to him, who later denied selling such land.

The petitioners also alleged that the INEC official also forged a document, using one Alloysius Ezema, a staff of Shanahan Community Bank, who forged the agreements and thumb-printed.

He later confessed and detailed how he was engaged to commit the crime.

Police sources said he confessed at the office of the Area Commander, Nsukka, and gave details of amount paid to him, and where the payment held.

It was gathered that based on the confession, the alleged seller of the land, Ngene, swore an affidavit at Nsukka Court, that she did not sell any land to Ayogu as claimed, and denied knowing him.

It was, however, gathered that soon after investigations into the allegations commenced, attempts were made to cover up the case by one of the police officers at the Area Command in Nsukka, prompting the case to be transferred to police headquarters in Enugu, where the INEC official was invited and interrogated over the development.

Sources said the matter took a different twist when it was noticed that vital documents in the case were missing after the transfer.

Based on this, according to sources, the Commissioner of Police directed that all those involved in the case at Nsukka be questioned and made to produce the missing documents.

Efforts to contact the police spokesman, in Enugu, over the development failed, but it was gathered that plans are on the way to charge the case to court as soon as investigations are concluded.

When contacted, Ayogu told The Guardian that he was at a meeting, and could not speak.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here