Academic operations ground to a halt at the Federal University of Technology, Akure (FUTA) in Ondo state on Friday due to a demonstration staged by students of the institution. They were protesting the tragic passing of their fellow student, Ayomide Akeredolu,Dailytrust report.

Akeredolu, a final-year student at FUTA, reportedly collapsed within his residential hall. Despite swift efforts to save him, including rushing him to the university’s health center, he tragically lost his life upon arrival.

This devastating loss incited anger among the students, prompting them to assemble and block the entrance to their school along the Akure/Ilesha express road for an extended period. They contended that Akeredolu’s death was a result of the inadequate facilities at the university’s health center.

ALSO READ: EFCC Arrests 23 Suspected Internet Fraudsters In Sokoto

The protest disrupted traffic, compelling commuters and drivers to seek alternative routes.

A student at the institution, who wished to remain anonymous, described the situation: “He (Akeredolu) collapsed in his hostel at Akindeko Hall of residence and was taken to the University Health Centre (supposed to be a University Teaching Hospital). Due to a lack of basic amenities, he lost his life at the university clinic. We rushed him to the health center around 8:30 pm.

When we arrived, there was a power outage, and throughout the oxygen setup, CPR, and injections they administered, the power remained out. We had to use our flashlights. It’s also hard to believe that there’s no backup power supply. Following this incident, the health center refused to attend to another student, a former FUTASU Vice President, who was in critical condition and needed immediate attention. Unfortunately, because she didn’t have her ID CARD, no one attended to her.”

In response, the university’s management, while offering condolences to the bereaved family, clarified that Akeredolu had been brought in already deceased. Adegbenro Adebanjo, the institution’s spokesperson, issued a statement stressing that the protest was not directly linked to the student’s passing. The statement read: “He was brought in dead. Efforts to resuscitate him through Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and oxygen therapy proved abortive. He was subsequently taken to the UNIMED Teaching Hospital, Akure by the medical personnel on duty inside the University ambulance. Understandably, his friends and colleagues are devastated by the sad Development. The management joins them in mourning at this very difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with our students and the bereaved family.”

The management acknowledged that the protest centered on concerns related to the university’s health center services. In response, they committed to addressing these concerns and improving the health center’s operations. They pledged to regularly review the corrective measures to ensure they meet the students’ expectations.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here