The Bauchi state command of the Nigerian Police Force has announced the arrest of a 12 year old boy who allegedly kidnapped a three year old baby girl.

CP Alhassan Aminu who made this known in a press release on Saturday said the suspect lured the little girl to an isolated place near a football field at Kara Area of Magama Gumau and called the victim’s father on phone to table his demands.

Signed by the Police Public Relations Officer of the Command, SP Ahmed Mohammed wakil, the press release said that the suspect was arrested upon receiving a report from family of the victim.

Read Also: 25-year-old Man Abducts, Kills Minor in Bauchi

“The information available at the Command’s disposal is that On 23/11/2022 at about 1740hrs Yahaya Sale ‘m’ aged 56yrs of Magama Gumau while at his shop located at the same address received a threatening phone call from an anonymous person, demanding the sum of one hundred and fifty thousand naira (150,000) as a ransom for the release of his kidnapped daughter one Mariya Yahaya ‘f’ aged 3yrs of same address”, the CP said.

The press release added that on hearing the demand, the victim’s father put off the call while the suspect kept calling.

“After a while, the victim’s father called the suspect on phone and identified the suspect as Dayyabu through his voice, as the suspect is known by the victim’s father”, the press release said.

Sensing that he has been identified through his voice, the suspect kept mute and quickly ended the call.

The press statement said, thereafter, the suspect swiftly took the girl back to their house, claiming that he saw her crying near a football field and decided to bring her home.

The CP explained that on interrogation, the suspect said he came to Bauchi from Kano in search of petty business with his siblings and that he purchased phone (Tecno Canon model) from the little he earned from sells of fried yam in Magama Gumau.

CP Aminu said investigation also revealed that the suspect got to know about kidnapping when some time ago his friend was kidnapped in Kano state until a ransom was paid before he was released from his captors.

“He also said he would have used the ransom money to buy his desired clothes and phones, but his plan was cut short upon his arrest by the Police operatives”, the press release said.

CP Aminu assured the general public that they will continue to be updated as the investigation unfolds on the matter.

He appealed to parents and guardians to maintain strict vigilance over the activities of their wards.

“It is pertinent now more than ever that the whereabouts of wards and the company they keep are constantly kept in check by all those responsible”, said.

The CP noted that investigation on the matter will continue after which the suspect will be charged to court.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here