The Federal Teaching Hospital (FTH) in Gombe has reported that a post-mortem examination carried out by its medical professionals has confirmed the preservation of all body parts of the late Halima Ibrahim,Daily Trust reports.

Earlier this week, Daily Trust had covered the protest by disgruntled youths who had gathered at FTH, Gombe, alleging the removal of one of the deceased woman’s eyes at the medical facility following her death from a brief illness.

A considerable number of youths had demanded explanations from the hospital’s management regarding the alleged removal of one eye and another vital body part from Halima.

In response, the hospital’s management swiftly ordered an autopsy to be conducted on the deceased’s body, with the deceased’s family members and certain security agencies present as witnesses.

ALSO READ: Women Block Highway, Demand Release Of Youth Over Killing Of Fulani…

Addressing the press alongside the deceased’s family, Professor Adamu Danladi Bojude, the Deputy Chairman of FTH’s Medical Advisory Committee, revealed that the autopsy results had conclusively shown that the alleged missing eye and other body parts of the deceased remained intact, contrary to the allegations.

He further stated that the hospital’s management had formed a committee consisting of the deceased’s family and security agencies to investigate the circumstances surrounding the allegations.

In contrast, the Gombe State Police Command has refuted the allegations, labeling them as baseless.

In an official statement, the command’s spokesperson, ASP Mahid Mu’azu Abubakar, noted that the case had been reported to the police by one Bilyaminu Dogara Campbell. Campbell claimed that his aunt, Halima Ibrahim, aged 61, had passed away while receiving treatment at FTH, Gombe, on September 22.

Campbell alleged that upon retrieving the body from the mortuary on September 26, where it had been kept for preservation ahead of burial, they observed blood emanating from the deceased’s left eye, leading them to suspect that the eye might have been removed at the hospital’s mortuary.

ASP Abubakar affirmed that police officers were dispatched to the hospital to safeguard the facility and prevent any potential public disturbances caused by the irate youths who had gathered to protest.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) explained that the police had discreetly conducted investigations to ascertain the facts surrounding the incident. The autopsy conducted on the deceased’s body, in the presence of her family, indicated that both eyes were fully intact.

ASP Abubakar disclosed that investigations are still ongoing to identify and apprehend those responsible for the false alarm.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here